If you have an asphalt driveway then it might be getting to the time when you need to reseal it. If that time has come then you might be wondering what the best sealer for the job is. Of course the answer to that would depend on what your specific needs are. You might want your driveway to be colourful or have a wet look, then again you might just want to have it sealed and done with. There is a sealant for everyone; it’s just that some might cost more than others.
A couple of things to keep in mind
• If you go colourful think and be respectful of your neighbors. While you might think bright pink with green polka dots is the best idea ever, your neighbors might not. They have to look at it too you know!
• The amount of sealant you will need will depend on what size driveways you have. While 15L is the normal needed amount, if you have a larger than normal driveway then you might need more. Then again if you are smaller than average then you won’t need as much.
The three main types of sealer
1. Film Forming Driveway Sealer – This type of sealant is water based, which can help asphalt from drying out and becoming brittle. It’s also one of the safest to use as it is nontoxic and non-flammable. It’s great for Australian driveways because it’s resistant to hot tyres and abrasion.
2. Wet Look Solvent Driveway Sealer – This is another sealer which is great for Australian driveways as it is made to withstand extreme weather conditions. It’s no secret that asphalt isn’t the best material to use in heat, so this sealer makes up a little for that. It’s quick drying and can actually be applied with a standard roller that you would use on your walls.
3. Coloured Driveway Paint Driveway Sealer – If you are looking to make your driveway stand out from the other driveways then this might be the sealer for you. You can choose from an abundance of colours, so there really is something for everyone. This is a two in one formula, as normally you would have to paint your asphalt and then seal it. However this is a one coat wonder. It provides a semi-gloss finish which can really upscale your driveway.
Choosing the right sealer for you
Hopefully now you have a better idea of what sealants are out there. It really does come down to personal preference and nothing else. All three different sealants vary in cost but not by much more than $10 and each of them come in 15L pots. So there really isn’t much putting one in front of the other. You just need to know what exactly you want on your driveway. It might be wise noting why exactly you need to reseal your asphalt too. If it’s because of serve weather damage then you might be best getting the wet look sealant which is designed to with stand extreme weather conditions. This way your driveways will stay protected for longer.